Shadow Illustration

Inspired by graffitikicks which is an instagram page full of illustrations related to footwear and sneakers, he works for a sneaker shop in Osaka Japan. So I did this the same way I did the Knuckles design and I think it am going to get them printed out large and have them displayed for the exhibition to show and give homage to the artists that I take the most inspiration from

Cartoon Kicks

So last time I did an illustration it was a cartoon character that already existed from a TV show and game, this time I wanted to do something a little more original and took inspiration from one of my main influences “Sen” with the graffiti style “lollypop heads” as me and my dad used to call them. Obviously, I wanted to make it more relevant to what I was doing by adding trainers, so I added some to the feet that I had already drawn a while ago and I thought because the character I have drawn is quite bubbly, I drew a shoe that I thought matched (Nike more UpTempo).

Knuckles Illustration

After looking at Graffitikicks designs I thought it would be a good idea to do a few of my own designs that are inspired by their work. So I took one of my favourite cartoon game characters, and first illustrated him (Knuckles) I then photographed a pair of my shoes and slowly began to draw them as well using Adobe illustrator, I used different shades of red on the character’s body to show lighting, I did the same on the shoes and I think the final outcome is good.

Laceless Design

Started off with a simple sketch of a trainer, staying with the no lace theme, the idea was to have an elasticated strap around the lower tibia bone and ankle, mainly to keep the shoe on the foot but also for an ankle support. the colour theme was black and yellow with the same patterns from the last design which will be laser cut onto the final product.

the key on the second picture is the colour theme, and I have ordered samples of each of these fabrics, hopefully these will be the final fabrics being used.

I took the sketch and put it once again into illustrator, added the patterns and colours, i even placed an image of one of the fabrics i have ordered into the illustration so that it looks more realistic.

Pattern Making

After I had taken photos of the last and plaster sole, I put the images into illustrator and turned them into digital designs with different textures on each panel. I then wanted to flatten the designs out and make a sort of map of what each panel would look like if they were cut from fabric… I think the panels look interesting, I like the contrast between the different patterns, I also think these patterns would look good on a shoe not particularly together but they definitely work. the pattern on the middle panel reminds me of the pattern on the Nike foamposite X Supreme which was a highly sort after pair of basketball shoes.

Digital Designs

For this i took some pictures of one of the plaster lasts i made with the cast on top of the plaster sole i made, hopefully this should be the silhouette of my final design. I then put these images into the illustrator app on my Ipad, I then drew the outlines of the sole and last and begun drawing lines for the upper, trying to keep it looking slick, fast but also simple and linear, the wings and nike tick will not be on the final design but i added them thinking of the idea of speed.  Using another app on my Ipad called Adobe Capture, which is used to make stencils and shapes for illustrator, I did exactly that and ran some images through that and it has given me some cool textures to put onto my designs and i think i might use them in my final design.

Taping the last

So to make the upper of a shoe what you have to do is completely tape up the last you are using and draw your design onto the tape, from there you then take the tape off and flatten it out onto a piece of card, there you can cut out the templates of your design and begin to cut these templates into the fabrics you are using. These pictures are showing the first steps of this process. When i was taping the last up the tape didnt stick to the last because it is made from plaster, this is why i need to make a cast out of a different material like a plastic.