Final piece Evaluation

The materials I used for my final piece were plaster, clay and leather, the leather was a light blue and on the flip side white however the white was a coating and wasnt natural and so it couldnt be laser cut which was a slight set back that was resolved. Originally I wanted the lasts to be plastic but the plastic I wanted was too expensive so I had to settle. the soles used on the display are clay and plaster.

With the way I pinned the leather shapes to the lasts I wanted to show speed and that why they kind of have a resemblance messenger wings or just wings in general, I personally think they look like hermes shoes.

I wanted to do something abit different to what the final outcome was, However, I do like certain elements, like the resemblance to hermes, and how well the laser cutting element turned out. I do think that i got torn between two different ideas of what i wanted my final piece to be and thats affected the final outcome.

My final piece relates to my proposal because it was about deconstructing and the shapes that go into a shoe, i think I have displayed this in my work along with other things including experimentation and the idea of making everything from scratch.

Overall I think it could have been better if I had used my time better and had acssess to the materials I needed , However, I think in the end i used what i had to the best of my abilities.


Shadow Illustration

Inspired by graffitikicks which is an instagram page full of illustrations related to footwear and sneakers, he works for a sneaker shop in Osaka Japan. So I did this the same way I did the Knuckles design and I think it am going to get them printed out large and have them displayed for the exhibition to show and give homage to the artists that I take the most inspiration from

Laceless Design

Started off with a simple sketch of a trainer, staying with the no lace theme, the idea was to have an elasticated strap around the lower tibia bone and ankle, mainly to keep the shoe on the foot but also for an ankle support. the colour theme was black and yellow with the same patterns from the last design which will be laser cut onto the final product.

the key on the second picture is the colour theme, and I have ordered samples of each of these fabrics, hopefully these will be the final fabrics being used.

I took the sketch and put it once again into illustrator, added the patterns and colours, i even placed an image of one of the fabrics i have ordered into the illustration so that it looks more realistic.

Pattern Making

After I had taken photos of the last and plaster sole, I put the images into illustrator and turned them into digital designs with different textures on each panel. I then wanted to flatten the designs out and make a sort of map of what each panel would look like if they were cut from fabric… I think the panels look interesting, I like the contrast between the different patterns, I also think these patterns would look good on a shoe not particularly together but they definitely work. the pattern on the middle panel reminds me of the pattern on the Nike foamposite X Supreme which was a highly sort after pair of basketball shoes.

Digital Designs

For this i took some pictures of one of the plaster lasts i made with the cast on top of the plaster sole i made, hopefully this should be the silhouette of my final design. I then put these images into the illustrator app on my Ipad, I then drew the outlines of the sole and last and begun drawing lines for the upper, trying to keep it looking slick, fast but also simple and linear, the wings and nike tick will not be on the final design but i added them thinking of the idea of speed.  Using another app on my Ipad called Adobe Capture, which is used to make stencils and shapes for illustrator, I did exactly that and ran some images through that and it has given me some cool textures to put onto my designs and i think i might use them in my final design.